5 Important features of Fixed LTE
If you don’t have Fibre and you’re shopping around for an affordable and viable wireless internet solution, then you should consider Fixed LTE.
Fixed LTE-Advanced (LTE-A) delivers true 4G speeds to a great extent compared to your regular LTE which is 3GPP.
It’s suitable for your work needs and some downtime at home.
Here are five features to help you get started
1. Coverage & Speeds
- Firstly, check if your area has coverage for Fixed LTE by entering your street address in the search bar of the Fixed LTE Coverage Tool or click on ‘Use my current location’.
- If there’s coverage, it should come up like this or either one of the two networks will cover your area.
- Average speeds for Fixed LTE are coverage and device-dependent.
- Your external environment around your home and where your device is situated also affects your speeds. For example, if it’s placed near a sound system or microwave, it can cause interference.
- You can expect 10-150Mbps on Pure LTE (MTN) and between 20-40Mbps on Telkom’s network.
- LTE-A is designed to be used in one location. (That will be the location that you specify during sign up.)
MTN has a range of approved CAT 6 devices that are compatible or suited for this service.
These devices are: Huawei B525, Huawei B612, Huawei B618 and the ZTE MF286. All devices with an equipment category lower than 5 (CAT 1-5) means it is not LTE-Advanced. It’s important to note that if you place your MTN SIM card in another device or move locations, it will be blocked.
Telkom SIM cards can be inserted to mobile phones to test if there’s no connectivity via the router.
Make sure that you have one of the above-mentioned CAT 6 devices if you’re ordering a SIM-only package with MTN.
If you’re planning to move, you can reach out to us and we can help you make this process a smooth one.
Your address can only be changed three times in a year.
3. Capped Packages
We currently offer capped SIM-only and SIM and device packages. Each package will give you an indication of what’s ideal for you in terms of the number of users and devices that you can connect.
If you’re going for the SIM and device package, you’ll pay a once-off discounted amount for the device. You can save up to R1000 on hardware with Telkom and MTN. (Promotion is subject to change anytime)
You’re allocated Anytime and Night Time data. Anytime data can be used anytime of the day. Nighttime data for both MTN is valid from 12am to 6am and Telkom from 12am to 7am.
MTN Anytime and Night Time data will rollover for 30 days.
Telkom’s in-bundle Anytime data will roll over for 30 days.
Night Time data does NOT roll over.
Data Topup Rollover
MTN’s Anytime top up data will roll over for 30 days from purchase.
Telkom’s Anytime top up data expires 60 days from purchase and your Night Time top up data expires 30 days from purchase.
5. Setting Up
Setting up is easy! All you have to do is insert your SIM card in your pre-configured device. It will take 24-48 hours from sign up for your Telkom SIM card to be active and 30 minutes to 24 hours for MTN.
If you need more information about our Fixed LTE offering, please visit our Help Centre or leave a comment below.
Give us your feedback on a Help Centre article you read and you’ll be entered into a draw to win a R1000 Takealot voucher.