When you’re weighing up your options for streaming, it can be challenging to select a solution that’s both budget friendly and delivers great functionality.
To be honest, I don’t want to drop R6,000 on a 4K capable SMART TV, when most of the content I consume is primarily available in Full HD.
I recently moved and got myself high-speed Fibre internet. I was in the market for a streaming TV box that would turn my aging Samsung LED TV into a capable SMART TV. I wanted a TV box that could easily handle playing my Netflix series, my favourite YouTubers and anything off my external hard drive.
- This Xiaomi Mi S is a Google Certified TV box with Android 8.1 and fully supports Showmax, Netflix, Hulu, Kodi, DSTV Now, SuperSport and much more. This makes it a standout, as other similar devices are not even Google Certified. The apps came pre-installed on the device.
- With built-in Chromecast and Google Assistant, I could easily browse content with just my voice and cast content from my mobile device.
- The Xiaomi Mi S was super easy to setup and connected to the internet with no fuss.
- Audio playback was also excellent, with Dolby Audio and DTS-HD.
- The device features 4K HDR technology which means the TV box can handle high-speed 4K processing at 60fps if I ever decide to upgrade my TV.
- The TV box played any video file I could throw at it and showed itself to be more capable than other devices I have used in the past.
- The Xiaomi Mi S’s remote control isn’t the greatest quality and feels cheap in hand. I get the feeling that if I drop the remote, it would break easily.
- The price tag of R1,585 (via GeeWiz) is quite steep for this type of device when other options on the market are much cheaper. However, the device is Google Certified and offers excellent app support.
- Casting from my smartphone to the Xiaomi Mi S was slow and cumbersome at times. But overall, performance is stable for the most part and it wasn’t a deal breaker.
Overall, the Xiaomi Mi S is a powerful 4K-capable Android streaming TV box that boasts a lot of functionality in a small form factor. Its made consuming my media much more pleasant.
Let me know your thoughts and what you’re currently streaming with.